El Monasterio de Piedra ante el octavo centenario de su consagración: Arquitectura y Patrimonio artístico disperso

Jueves, 15 de febrero


Imagen sin Texto Alternativo Pulse para ampliar

The Monastery of Piedra at the eighth centenary of its consecration

Architecture and disperse artistic heritage

Salto de línea Conferencia de Herbert González Zymla, Universidad Complutense de Madrid

Jueves, 15 de febreroSalto de línea Salón de actos, 19:00Salto de línea Asistencia libre y gratuita

Presentación a cargo de: Salto de línea Sergio Vidal Álvarez, Museo Arqueológico NacionalSalto de línea Rocío Martín Bonet, Caminos del Románico

The Royal Cistercian Monstery of Santa María de Piedra was founded at the initiative of king Alfonse II of Aragón in 1195 with monks from the Monastery of Poblet headed by Gaufredo de Rocaberti. The friars settled in up to four different places before finding their ultimate settlement in a natural environment of incomparable beauty, whose wilderness and waterfalls incited to retreat and prayer. The abbey church of Santa María de Piedra was consecrated in 1218, consequently the year 2018 marks its eighth centenary, a historical moment that must be devoted to highlighting the outstanding value of this building, one of the most significant in the architecture of the 13th century in the Christian kingdoms of the Iberian Peninsula. In addition, it also provides the opportunity to study the artistic heritage scattered after the seizure, the most remarkable of whose works was a reliquary altar painted in 1390, where the abbey’s relics were both kept and exhibited.

Con la colaboración de Caminos del Románico