Archaeological Monuments and Ruins

Saint-Louis Museum / Carthage National Museum

The modern-day Carthage National Museum was founded in 1875 by Cardinal Lavigerie as the Saint-Louis Museum at the Monastery of the White Fathers (Society of the Missionaries of Africa) on Byrsa Hill.

Its name was changed in 1956.

These thirty-five photographs represented the Saint-Louis Museum at the 1892 Exhibition in Madrid, grouped in three frames that showed images of Punic, Roman and Christian artefacts from the museum and three of its galleries, with shelves and display cases packed with objects.

Its rich collections, which include a particularly remarkable assortment of Punic artefacts, came from European excavations begun in the 19th century, especially those led by Father Alfred Louis Delattre.