Eduardo Ripoll Perelló (Tarragona, 23 May 1923 ‒ Barcelona, 28 March 2006), with degrees in Law and Philosophy & Letters and a PhD in History from the University of Barcelona, combined his research and university work with his interest in archaeological heritage and museology. Salto de línea Salto de línea The inauguration of the new installations by Queen Sofía on 6 June 1981 marked the dawn of a new era dedicated to educational and research activities such as cultural and scientific events, in particular courses and lectures by the museum staff and professionals from universities and research institutes such as the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC).
This new approach gave rise to the creation of the Education Department, the Friends of the Museum Association (1981), the annual publication of the Boletín del Museo Arqueológico Nacional (1983) and the renewal of both the catalogue and monograph series.
During Ripoll’s mandate the museum participated in the preparation of nearly 120 exhibitions. Many were temporary shows held on the museum premises, with varied themes ranging from the gold of Peru (1982) to Punic artefacts from Almuñecar (1984). In response to loan requests for exhibitions in other parts of Spain and abroad, many of the museum’s objects travelled to places such as Barcelona, Ibi, Ávila, Paris, London, New York and Mexico.
Ripoll was appointed director following a competitive selection procedure at a time when Spain was transforming its political framework. One consequence of this was that the responsibility for archaeological affairs was transferred to the Spanish regions, which developed their own channels for receiving finds from archaeological excavations. From this point onwards, the National Archaeological Museum acquired new artefacts to complete its existing collections and series through government purchases, bequests and long-term loans from private collectors. New acquisitions made during this period included the funerary stela from Magacela (Badajoz), the sixth-century BC Tartessian jar known as the Valdegamas Jar, two fragments of ivory plaques from San Millán de la Cogolla, and six original maps of Pompeii drawn up by Pietro Bianchi in 1833.Salto de línea