the Casino de la Reina estate

Map of the city of Madrid in 1875 drawn up by Carlos Ibáñez de Ibero and detail of the Casino de la Reina estate. IGN 281095-281096-281110

Following the Crown’s surrender of the property in 1865, the Casino de la Reina passed into the hands of the government and was used to house different institutions, including the newly-created National Archaeological Museum. The museum occupied the mansion and several of the adjacent pavilions, but these turned out to be insufficient for an institution of such scope and magnitude, and extensive remodelling work had to be carried out.