The inauguration

View of the Indo-Persian gallery at the Natural History and Ethnography Exhibition. MAN

The building was inaugurated on 11 November 1892 by the Spanish and Portuguese monarchs, coinciding with the opening to the general public of the exhibitions to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the Discovery of America. Following the closure of these exhibitions in 1893, the National Archaeological Museum set about organising its own galleries in the new premises, which were inaugurated by the Queen-Regent Maria Cristina on 5 July 1895.

The Palace of the Library and Museums